Can’t Play HEVC/H.265 Videos on macOS High Sierra-The Solution
macOS High Sierra 10.13 claims to have H.265/HEVC codec support, which is mainly used for 4K streamer and can compress video up to 40 percent than H.264 codec keeping the same quality. However, still some users have H.265/HEVC video playback errors with High Sierra like: Handbrake encoded H.265/HEVC MP4 videos can’t be played on High Sierra via the default QuickTime player.
After analysis, we found that macOS High Sierra’s H.265-capable apps can only deal with the AVCodecParameters codec in “hvc1” instead of “hev1”, while most of the H.265/HEVC videos are the latter. To solve these issues, you just need the best H.265/HEVC video player for Mac (High Sierra included). Below are two positive solutions for your reference.
Solution 1. Play H.265/HEVC Videos with Brorsoft Player for Mac
Brorsoft Player for Mac is one of the best H.265/HEVC video player with recording function for your Mac (macOS High Sierra included) with below features:
- Get sharper, vivid effect to play 4K H.265/HEVC videos on PC/Mac.
- Play 4K/1080P Blu-ray, DVD discs in high definition with DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD.
- Select any period of times and make animated GIF file for sharing to have more fun.
- Take snapshot of the shining moment of your movies.
- Record what’s happening on the screen as a straightforward video. It saves time and is quite effective.
- Add a bookmark of the video for watching later or return to recent viewed point as you like.
Solution 2. Play H.265/HEVC Videos with VLC
VLC is a free and open source multimedia player that can play various videos formats like H.264, MKV, MP4, MOV, WMV, FLV, etc without the need of codec packs. But for playing an H.265/HEVC format video, it requires to download a specific x265 as a free software library and application for encoding video streams into the H.265/MPEG-H HEVC compression format. Otherwise, VLC will not support H.265 video playback flawlessly, e.g. there is not showing audio, stutters, etc.
Note: VLC media player requires Mac OS X 10.6 or later. It runs on any 64bit Intel-based Mac. Previous devices are supported by older releases.
Both of above two software are the best H.265/HEVC video player for macOS High Sierra, if you not only want to play H.265/HEVC video on macOS High Sierra, but also want to enjoy Blu-ray/DVD and other popular videos in AVI, MKV, WMV, 3GP, etc, probably Brorsoft Player for Mac is the best option for you.